Website City of Albuquerque Open Space Division
Coordinate, monitor and manage science education programs and volunteers of the Open Space Division within the Parks and Recreation Department; participate in the development and implementation of science educational goals, objectives, policies, and priorities; and perform a variety of administrative tasks in support of assigned area of responsibility.
Job descriptions are intended to present a general list of tasks/duties performed by employees within this job classification. Job Descriptions are not intended to reflect all duties performed within the job.
Minimum Education, Experience And Additional Requirements
Education and experience directly related to the minimum requirements below may be interchangeable on a year for year basis.
Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in biology or education; and
Three (3) years of informal teaching or educational program/volunteer coordination experience in any of the following environmental facilities: nature center, natural resource agencies, science based school or program; and
To include one (1) year of supervisory or lead experience.
Possession of a valid New Mexico Driver’s License, or the ability to obtain by date of hire.
Possession of a City Operator’s Permit (COP) within 6 months from date of hire.
May work flexible hours, including evening, weekends, and holidays as required.
- Methods and techniques of lesson plan development and instruction
- Methods and techniques of informal education
- Principles and practices of Parks and Open Space education programming
- Principles and practices of Science, Technology, Education, Art and Math (STEAM) and New Mexico Generations Science Standards
- Principles and practices of volunteer administration, including recruitment and training
- Modern Office procedures, methods and computer equipment
- Principles and procedures of record keeping
- Natural and cultural history of Parks and Open Space areas
- Occupational hazards and standard safety practices
- Pertinent Federal, State and local laws, codes and regulations
Preferred Skills & Abilities
- Establish, coordinate and direct educational programs for the Open Space Visitor Center
- Recommend and implement goals and objectives for providing scientifically-based programs and volunteer services
- Participate in the supervision of the Open Space Division’s operations, services and activities
- Oversee, direct and coordinate the work of lower level staff
- Select, supervise, train and evaluate staff
- Interpret Parks and Open Space rules and regulations
- Promote science educational programs
- Allocate limited resources, including volunteers, in an effective manner
- Communicate clearly and concisely
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work
- Perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation
To apply for this job please visit www.governmentjobs.com.