- This event has passed.
BioBlitz at the Rio Grande Nature Center State Park Summer Wings Festival
August 6, 2016
EEANM is a partner organization in this year’s BioBlitz at the RGNC. Join birders, scientists, and naturalists to identify as many species as possible! You’ll find and learn about insects, birds, plants, and many other organisms.
Presentations on Saturday, August 6
- 9:00 am – 10:30 am: Dragonflies and Damselflies! Southwest Odonates at the Nature Center – Karen Gaines. Short presentation in the Education Bldg, then capture and ID at the Discovery Pond
- 10:30 am: Birding and Technology – Judy Liddell, co-author of Birding Hotspots of New Mexico
- 12:30pm – Native Plants Q & A and book signing with horticulturalist and Judith Phillips, author of Growing the Southwest Garden (Judith will be leading a native plant walk at 11:30am.)
- 1:00 pm: Hummingbirds of New Mexico – Bill Talbot, Certified Hummingbird Bander (banding 9-11am)
- 2:00 pm: “The Bees in Your Backyard” – Olivia Carril, author of The Bees in Your Backyard; Book signing following presentation (Olivia will be leading a Bee Walk at 10am, too)
Join the challenge to identify as many species as possible with the experts!
Friday evening, August 5th
- Nature Conservancy Evening Bird Walk with David Mehlman
Saturday, August 6th
- 8:00am – Nature Conservancy Bird Walk with David Mehlman
- 8:30am – Guided Bird Walk with RGNC expert volunteers
- 9:00am – Bilingual Bird and Bug Walk for the Family – Karen Herzenberg and Mike Sanchez, NMMNHS
- 10:00am – Pollinator Walk with Olivia Carril
- 11:30am – Butterfly Walk – Rebecca Gracey
- 11:30am – Native Plants of the Southwest walk with Judith Phillips
- Noon – Lizards and Snakes! Walk with a herpetology expert
- 1:30pm – Discovery Pond Exploration and Phenology – NMMNHS & Jessica Allen, Rio Grande Phenology Trail
- 2:30pm – Plants & Porcupines! – Valle de Oro NWR’s USFWS Wildlife Biologist Ariel Elliott and BEMP
Other Activities at Summer Wings
- 9:00-11:00 am – Hummingbird Banding with Bill Talbot
- 11:00 am – Bird Treaty Centennial Celebration
- Nature Journaling with Margy O’Brien
- Live Birds with Wildlife Rescue
- Central New Mexico Audubon Bird ID
- Crafts for the Kids
Admission: RGNC State Park charges a $3 day use fee.
- (505) 859-3366