DEADLINE TO APPLY IS SUNDAY, JULY 26
Join us. Do work that matters!
In partnership with the USDA Forest Service, MobilizeGreen is seeking a Conservation Education Resource Assistant (RA) to work with the Forest Service’s Southwestern Regional Office of Communication & Engagement and their partner organization, Environmental Education of New Mexico, an affiliate of the North American Association of Environmental Education. This unique arrangement will provide the RA with direct experience in how the federal government and non-governmental organizations collaborate to accomplish work of mutual benefit and interest in providing equitable access to the outdoors and environmental learning for youth.
The RA will assemble a “State of the State” product providing a snapshot of environmental and outdoor learning opportunities available across the Forest Service’s Southwestern Region (primarily AZ and N.M.). This will contribute to a hub for connecting education, volunteer and employment opportunities across the region to improve recruitment and retention of diverse youth from education to careers.
We are committed to creating a diverse conservation workforce and diverse applicants with relevant education or experience are encouraged to apply.
The Resource Assistants Program is a rigorous, immersive, paid experience for individuals interested in Forest Service careers, designed for recent college graduates (0-5 years out of school). Resource Assistants work under the mentorship and coaching of Forest Service staff to complete mission-critical work while developing leadership, critical thinking, and strategic communication skills. RAP is a vehicle for emerging professionals to launch their natural and cultural resources careers. For more information on the Resource Assistants Program, go to: https://www.fs.usda.gov/working-with-us/volunteers/resource-assistants-program
MobilizeGreen is a national non-profit and serves as a catalyst in preparing the next generation of environmental leaders. MobilizeGreen’s mission is to jumpstart green careers for diverse youth and recent graduates, while advancing environmental equity in communities across the country.
MobilizeGreen is a partner with the US Forest Service on the Resource Assistant Program.
Location: The Southwestern Regional Office is in Albuquerque, N.M. The position can be located on site or be up to 100% virtual.
- 33-34 weeks, starting by September 21, 2020
- Full time/40 hours per week
- $500/week living allowance (stipend)
- $1000/month housing allowance (stipend)
- Eligible for moving stipend (if relocating)
- Hands-on learning and job training experience
- Mentorship for career and professional development
- 2-year direct hiring certificate with the Forest Service (with successful completion and at least 960 hours of service)
- Eligible for health insurance
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Update current inventory of environmental and outdoor learning opportunities.
- Design and populate a spreadsheet or relational database to house new and updated region- wide data related to environmental and outdoor learning including programs, resources, initiatives, policies, and other areas influencing availability of these opportunities.
- Communicate with staff at a variety of environmental and outdoor education organizations across the Southwestern Region, orally and in writing.
- Other duties as assigned.
- This work is primarily conducted in an office setting, but there may be occasional opportunities to attend meetings with partner organizations and visit national forests and grasslands in the region.
Experience and Qualifications:
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Dedication to building relationships and providing quality customer service.
- Experience completing projects, such as meeting deadlines, collaborating with others, and ensuring that deliverables meet project needs.
- Sound critical thinking and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work independently.
- Familiarity with some or all of the following: Microsoft Office suite (Word, Excel, Outlook, Teams) and databases.
- Degree or demonstrated interest in one or more of the following fields:
- Database management/computer science
- Natural and Cultural Resources/Science
- College graduate (Associates Degree or higher)
- U.S. Citizenship or permanent resident
To apply, please submit the following in a single file to firstname.lastname@example.org with a cc to email@example.com and the subject line “Conservation Education RA Application” BY SUNDAY, JULY 26:
- Cover letter explaining your interest in the position and why you’d be a good match
- 3 references